Sunday, February 23, 2014

Bind Up Their Wounds

This weeks lesson was the conference lesson. The talk was given at the priesthood session of General Conference by Henry B. Eyring
Lesson by: Sister Jana Neilson

All of us have been blessed with the responsibility of others.

This statement was related to the story of The Good Samaratin.


In the Lord’s words the Samaritan, (luke 10.25-37)when he saw the wounded man, stopped because “he had compassion.”
 
More than only feeling compassion, he acted. Always remember the specifics of the account:
“And [he] went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him.
“And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee.”
 
Compassion was defined by our fellow Relief Society sisters as Love, Sympathy and Christ like Love. Another way to have compassion is to have Mercy.
 
President Eyring promises:
You can have at least three assurances. First, the Lord will give you, if you ask, the feelings of compassion He feels for those in need. Second, He will provide others, like the innkeeper, to join with you in your service. And third, the Lord, like the good Samaritan, will more than recompense all who join in giving help to those in need.
 
Sister Neilson related this talk to the sisters by talking about visiting teaching and compassionate service. How we know people in our ward, but we do not have a perfect knowledge of everyone in our ward, but the Lord does. We should pray everyday and ask the Lord,
"Who is it that needs my help?" "Who can I serve?"
 
She related the following from the article:
I saw that happen when I was a young man. I was the first assistant in a priests quorum. The bishop called me one day at my home. He said that he wanted me to go with him to visit a widow in great need. He said he needed me.
As I waited for him to pick me up at my home, I was troubled. I knew the bishop had strong and wise counselors. One was a famous judge. The other ran a large company and would later become a General Authority. The bishop himself would someday serve as a General Authority. Why was the bishop saying to an inexperienced priest, “I need your help”?
Well, I know better now what he might have said to me: “The Lord needs to bless you.”
 
When the Lord has something for us to do, either some service, a calling or anything else he asks, he is telling us, "I want to bless you." He is also giving us an opportunity to be obedient.
 
D&C 84: 85
“Neither take ye thought beforehand what ye shall say; but treasure up in your minds continually the words of life, and it shall be given you in the very hour that portion that shall be meted unto every man.”

We must Treasure up the Words of the Lord.
 
Finally she closed with the thought that we need to trust in the Lord and act upon those feelings.
Compassion should be acted on!

No comments:

Post a Comment